Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Year of Gains & Losses

Elias just had his 1st birthday on February 25th and i've been thinking about how much EVERYTHING has changed since he's been in our lives!  I know everyone says this, but I truly cannot imagine life without Eli and I thank the Lord daily for the blessing he is!  I'm incredibly grateful that he is healthy, happy, and smart too!

Here are some lists of things that came to mind as I thought about the things we've gained & lost over the past year since Elias Tyler was born...

GAINS:

  • another member of our family
  • pure JOY
  • lots and lots of toys
  • LAUNDRY - who knew something so small could produce so much laundry (especially with the cloth diapers...so worth it though, what's one more load?!)
  • messes - check out the birthday cake pics below for one fun example!
  • giggles galore
  • slobbery kisses
  • more love than I ever thought possible
  • poop
  • quick, ninja-like parent reflexes
  • a schedule controlled by Eli (feedings & naps especially)
  • pictures, pictures, & more pictures
  • arm strength to haul around all the extra weight (Eli is 27 lbs now!)
  • diaper bag - contains diapers, wipes, changing pad, snacks, toys, extra clothes, wet bag, nursing cover, spit rag/receiving blanket, sippy cup, and more
  • those precious quiet moments where Eli falls asleep on me and just sinks into my arms when I pick him up
  • excitement for the little things - everything from a smile to learning a new skill



LOSSES:

  • freezer space - it's full of breastmilk (i've even had to store some in a friend's freezer)
  • sleeping in - oh how I miss this!
  • "guest" bedroom - living in a 2 bedroom apartment leaves no more room for friends/family to stay over unless they're okay with the couch
  • 65 pounds - 35 pounds that I gained during pregnancy (10 lbs. of that was baby) and another 30 lbs. below my pre-pregnancy weight!
  • ability to keep anything small, breakable or sharp lower than 3 feet
  • the freedom to just "get up and go" or run an errand without having to coordinate schedules and pack a bag
  • time with my hubby - have to be much more purposeful with this one

I could go on and on...

Being a mommy has been the greatest joy of my life and I cannot wait to see what the future years have in store!


Here are a few pictures from Elias's birthday party...ENJOY!

The cake layers - the night before

The spread w/ balloon topiary centerpiece

Balloon banner was my inspiration (from pinterest)

smoked chicken wings from D. Rowes & chicken salad croissant sandwiches

Raspberry lemonade punch

The Cake...this was Eli's piece :)

cake & cupcakes
The cupcakes were a rainbow of colors too




And let the eating begin (the pictures speak for themselves)...
 






Another birthday project...balloon covered #1 door hanger to greet the party guests

One final birthday project...Balloon topiary centerpiece


1 comment:

  1. I loved your lists!!

    You did such an amazing job on his party! You're a fantastic momma, Cassie!

    ReplyDelete